Re: Converting to standards... (sort of)

At 10:38 25/09/2002 -0400, Eric A. Meyer wrote:
>    In the first place, an effort of the kind I undertook isn't one of
> tens or hundreds of hours.  I invested less than three hours in fixing
> the DOM scripting and tweaking a bit of HTML, and I'm not even a DOM
> expert.

I think the amount of time is very much dependant on how the site is
generated, and how much of the site needs fixed. A dynamically generated
site can be very easy to fix, or an absolute nightmare, depending on the
underlying programming.

I recently fixed up a small site, entirely static HTML, for one of our
clients. The markup was completely unstructured and it took me the best
part of a working week to get it to the stage where CSS could be applied
with consistency.

Were you thinking of individual page fixes or whole site corrections?

<snip/>
>    As for the benefit to you,

Don't worry, I wasn't being completely mercenary :-). I live an annoyingly
busy life at the moment, and whereas I would be happy to work on projects
for the good of the Internet as a whole, I am reluctant to spend a lot of
time fixing a commercial website for free. A few hours per week on
commercial websites would be OK.

Andrew

--
Andrew McFarland
UNITE Solutions          Phone 028 9077 7338