Re: Comparison of Standard and Proprietary Technologies

From: "Brant Langer Gurganus" <brantgurganus2001@cherokeescouting.org>
> Bill Mason wrote:
> > I would suggest that "Support for standard technologies will never
> > end." should be qualified, as certainly technology gets left behind
> > all the time, whether it be an 8-track tape or a deprecated FONT tag.
>
> I removed it.  You do have a point there, but I think proprietary
> technologies die faster than standard technologies.  Netscape killed
> their own document.layers and <LAYER> proprietary stuff.

That raises the corresponding point that proprietary technologies tend to be
limited to a particular implementations - layer only worked on Netscape
Navigator, similarly marquee only worked on Internet Explorer. So if a
proprietary product is not hugely successful rather quickly, it doesn't
become adopted by competing or complementary products. document.all is an IE
only device, and although used in a browser with +-90% penetration, still
isn't supported in other browsers, although the non-proprietory
document.getElementById is better supported.

Iso.