Re: Slashdot: "Designers Ignoring Standards"

At 5:22 PM +0100 7/10/02, Isofarro wrote:
>The overriding impression I get is that web designers are reluctant to
>correct misunderstandings their clients have about the web because it
>will affect them getting the contract, which means no money to put food
>on the table.

You're right, although there's an important secondary group of people as
well (you touched on this but I wanted to underscore it, as the concept
bothered me).

And that is; many website designers act as a baffle or smoke screen between
"standards compliance" and their bosses.  Since a website designer can drop
into jargon (a la BOFH) and confuse the issue with great-sounding
technicalities, and since many working relationships with designers place a
good amount of trust in their Internet-related opinions, this is a
dangerous predicament.  Several people on Slashdot recommended that if
you're ever to complain about a site design, you should write to the
appropriate VPs of the company -- not the webmaster, who all too often will
ignore your message completely.

Do these cunning people really exist, in significant numbers?  And if so,
how do we educate the hostile?  Some of those positions are likely quite
secure.

-Joseph