Re: cost-benefit analysis of standards compliance

On Tue, 2002-07-09 at 15:22, Jeff Moyes wrote:
> This would be incredible information if it can be found/compiled. At least
> in the corporate world, (tangible) cost-benefit analysis is almost always
> the underlying determinate factor. If you can show a manager that it will
> save time and/or money (thereby "making" money) they will go for it. If they
> don't see this than it's questoinable.  I have had to do whatever upgrading
> to standards compliant code I've done as a "black project" - i.e. slipping
> it in during normal development, without taking any additional resources to
> do so.

The problem is, you have to start by getting the developers on board who
are actually building the pages.  Yes, web designers could really use a
cost-benefit analysis in order to convince management, but if they don't
care, and aren't even trying to convince them, it won't matter.  I think
right now, getting the designers on board is the larger task.  I think
you and your "black project" attitude are definitely the educated
exception, but I don't think our current situation on the net is as a
result of management shooting down standards.

Personally, when I do consulting... I don't even treat it like it's an
option.  It takes as long as it will take to create those pages, and
they will, at very least, validate - it's not optional.  It never even
gets up to management.  A non-validating page to me is like programming
source code which won't compile - there is no decision to make.

Everyone repeat after me...

If it doesn't validate, IT'S NOT HTML! :)

--
Chris Hubick
mailto:chris@hubick.com