Re: Designers/web developer needs (was: I'm here because I'm lazy - a personal intro.)

Dominique Hazaël-Massieux wrote:

>There seems to be a fair number of designers and web developers on this
>forum, and that's a very good thing, since it should allow the
>evangelists ones to get some feedback and ideas on their work.
>
>Specifically, I think it would be interesting to know what designers and
>web developers would see as useful resources:
>- to help them with build standard compliant web sites

A consistent implementation at the same level of the standards across
the various browsers.  Specifically, those browsers are Opera,
Mozilla/Netscape/K-Meleon/Galeon/Gecko-based, and Internet Explorer.

>- to help them with convincing their managers you should do that

A clear list of advantages versus disadvantages of using the standards.
 Obviously, we want to lean toward the advantages side, but the list
must be balanced to be effective.  A list of only advantages will show
that we don't care about the other side of the balance beam
(metaphorically).

>- to clarify classical errors/misunderstandings they have been through
>due to bad education outside for instance

I think we need to educate properly from the beginning.  We need to make
free up-to-date educational materials available to schools.  As a high
school student, I know that school will typically buy the cheaper text
book.  In the case of the World Wide Web's technologies, this is a bad
idea.  The text books I have seen teach how to use FrontPage
(proprietary) and other WYSIWIG environments.  Those that do teach HTML
include the proprietary <marquee> and the deprecated style elements of
HTML 3.2 and 4.0.  Likewise we need to make it well know that HTML marks
up semantically as opposed to syntactically.  People think "How do I
make this big, bold, and black?" instead of "How do I mark this as a
heading (HTML) and once it is a heading, how do I tell that it should be
big, bold, and black (CSS)?"

--
Brant Langer Gurganus
There is no failure until you fail to keep trying.