Re: W3C Home page switched to full CSS layout

(sorry - this is probably a bit off-topic for this list)

Wesley Moy wrote:

> James
>
> I would like to refer, for a moment, to the XHTML 1.0 specification.
> It is available on the W3C website at http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1 . I
> am not, however, interested so much in the specification itself. The
> subtitle is what I would advise you to see.
>

> The subtitle reads, “A Reformulation of HTML 4 in XML 1.0.” While I
> understand your argument from a theoretical standpoint, in the fact
> that it does take a minute or two to learn how to properly notate <br>
> and others in XHTML, there is no fundamental change in the vast
> majority of the specification. Unless you are referring to HTML 3.2,
> 2.0, or 1.0, there is no real argument for HTML 4 over XHTML 1.
>
> I hope I am not mistaken in any way, but if I am, I would be glad to
> be enlightened.
>
> Wes

I understand the transition from HTML to XHTML, and I fully support the
use of XML itself. The problem with XHTML, for me, is that in their
infinite wisdom the W3C made all the tags in XHTML lower-case. This
alone is enough to prevent me from ever using it (with the porssible
exception of if I'm being paid to do it).

As I'm sure others will agree, creating HTML code by hand, or at least
creating templates by hand, give the best results (rather than using a
WYSIWYG, or similar, editor). I've been doing this for years, using
upper-case HTML tags, without problems. The problem I have with XHTML is
that I simple can't edit it, or use my own style, because it's based on
XML, and is therefor case-sensitive.

For me, XHTML represents a complete waste of time on the part of the W3C
because of this - I'm never going to use it, instead I'll just switch
from HTML 4 to XML/XSLT when that time comes (getting mighty close, I
might add).

--
James Ross <J.G.Ross@warwick.ac.uk>
Webmaster, The University of Warwick Computing Society

Why You Can't Find Your System Administrator:
  13. The admin is suffering so bad from sleep deprivation that they may as well not be there for all the sense you can make of the words they are saying.