Re: URI policy for thesaurus concepts

On Sat, 1 May 2004, Leonard Will wrote:

>In message <byJeXABEE3kAFAa1@light.demon.co.uk> on Sat, 1 May 2004,
>Richard Light <richard@light.demon.co.uk> wrote
>>concepts with a link to this one"), then you can browse up and down the
>>thesaurus tree structure from the starting concept by issuing multiple
>>requests - if that is what you wish to do.
>
>Yes, and if the browsing is being done by a human there should also be
>provision for browsing up and down
>(1) an alphabetical list of terms, starting at any specified point,  and
>(2) a list of terms containing a given character string.

Being able to browse by terms, as well as by concept relationships, is
extremely important. The tools we as people have to determine whether we
really mean the same concepts are essentially words and pictures.

One thing that is intersting in implementations is being abel to see why a
certain term is not the preferred term for a concept - erhaps because it is a
preferred term for another concept, or becausee it overlaps too much with its
use as an alternative term for another concept...

Cheers

Chaals