Re: SWAD-E postcard text

Hi Libby,

> so...what do we want to get people to do with respect to the site?
>
> - join in
> irc/w3c mailing lists/workshops/suggestions and questions
> public-esw/wiki
>
> - find stuff out
> reports, demos, developer page

Both of those. As well as pointing people to the web site (find stuff out) we
should encourage then to join us on public-esw to ask questions, let us know of
relevant other work going on etc. (I have a preference for emphasising the mail
list since I'm irc-challenged!).

> We could also have a slogan of some kind on the front of the
> card....what do you think? any suggestions?

Sorry, I'm terrible with slogans. Sentiments along the lines of "making the
semantic real" or "building a practical semantic web 1.0" might be suitable but
I haven't got a good form of words.

> I rather like this para (from
> http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/factsheet/) as an explanation of what
> we're doing in the project:
>
> [[
> The period 2002-2004 will see the first wave of mainstream Semantic Web
> applications. SWAD-Europe's role will be to ensure that the critical
> technology components required for widespread Semantic Web adoption are
> readily accessible to European industry, consumers, and developers. This
> involves finding and maintaining a balance between "in-house" Open
> Source tool development, community building, outreach and evangelism,
> combined with more technologically advanced research and analysis to
> support and field-test Semantic Web standards.
> ]]

Agreed. That's a good paragraph. If there is space it would good to have a few
more specifics points mentioned as appetizers to encourge people to follow up
(by mail or web). For example, mention a few of the specific technology issues
or investigations or applications.

Doesn't need to be comprehensive just a few bullet highlights.

For example:

"Examples of the activities we are involved in include:
  - bridging the gap between semantic web technology and the XML tool stack
  - reviewing and developing tools for accessing, storing and search semantic
web data
  - developing case studies and demonstration applications in areas ranging from
thesaurus management to semantic blogging
  - a series of developer workshops on topics ranging from image annotation to
calendaring.

For more details on the full range of our activities visit
http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/ or join us on the public-esw@w3.org mail
list."

Dave