Re: Skout - A YAML-based format for SKOS

Hi Christophe,

Thanks for your feedback. I hope you don’t mind forwarding the discussion to the mailing list.

I generally agree that I18n is a very important aspect for concept schemes. It just wasn’t part of the use case I had, when implementing this.

I already thought about support for language tags and also datatypes on literals. Unfortunately the obvious solution of using custom YAML datatypes doesn't seem to be viable, since these are not available in all YAML implementations, in particular the ones in Erlang/Elixir. So, some kind of special syntax on top of basic YAML must be introduced for this.

But even when that extension will be implemented, I doubt that Skout will ever be a good solution for managing translations. I actually think a better approach is to use dedicated tools for the different aspects of managing a concept scheme. While I think Skout is very well-suited for managing the narrower hierarchy, other tools will probably better suited for the translations. For this case, IMO an already existing format for managing translations would be used ideally, eventually extended for use with SKOS. Something gettext-based with its large eco-system behind it and well-known by translators would come to mind for example. I’m not sure if something like that exists already.

Best,

Marcel