RE: Are multiple notations actually used?

From: <Simon.Cox@csiro.au>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 22:59:23 +0000
To: <Jakob.Voss@gbv.de>, <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
> The advise to use custom datatypes is rather unhelpful because RDF has no default mechanism to express information about datatypes.

However, OWL2 restrictions can be used.
For example, we have defined the following string patterns to be used for SKOS notation instances.

gts:EraCode
      a       rdfs:Datatype ;
      rdfs:isDefinedBy <http://resource.geosciml.org/ontology/timescale/gts> ;
      rdfs:label "Era code"^^xsd:string ;
      owl:equivalentClass
              [ a       rdfs:Datatype ;
                owl:onDataType xsd:string ;
                owl:withRestrictions
                        ([ xsd:pattern "a[12](.[1-9])*"^^xsd:string
                          ])
              ] .

h2o:ISOClassName
      a       rdfs:Datatype ;
      rdfs:comment "A datatype for skos:notation annotations, used to indicate the original UML class name"^^xsd:string ;
      rdfs:isDefinedBy <http://def.seegrid.csiro.au/isotc211/iso19150/-2/2012/basic> ;
      rdfs:label "ISO Class name"^^xsd:string ;
      owl:equivalentClass
              [ a       rdfs:Datatype ;
                owl:onDataType xsd:string ;
                owl:withRestrictions
                        ([ xsd:pattern "^[A-Z]\\w*"^^xsd:string
                          ])
              ] .

wqot:CAS-number
      a       rdfs:Datatype ;
      rdfs:label "CAS Number"^^xsd:string ;
      owl:equivalentClass
              [ a       rdfs:Datatype ;
                owl:onDataType xsd:string ;
                owl:withRestrictions
                        ([ xsd:pattern "CAS [0-9]+-[0-9]+-[0-9]+"
                          ])
              ] .

Simon Cox