From: Stella Dextre Clarke [stella@lukehouse.org]
Sent: Monday, November 18, 2013 1:24 PM
To: vladimir.alexiev@ontotext.com
Cc: public-esw-thes@w3.org; L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk; ZENG, MARCIA
Subject: Re: how to: ordered collection of a Concept

Hi Vladimir,
It's good to know Johan's changes are helping you sort things out
(although I did not find an attachment with the diagram you mentioned).

Sorry about the duff URL. If you still want to see the National Library
of Medicine's MeSH tree of arrays without node labels, try going to
<http://www.nlm.nih.gov/mesh/MBrowser.html> and then select the
"Navigate from tree top" button. (In general, handling node labels
demands extra sophistication in the software required; hence few
thesaurus editors embark on it unless they have strong incentives and a
healthy budget.)

All the best with the project,
Stella
-------------------

On 17/11/2013 21:08, Vladimir Alexiev wrote:
> Hi Stella!
>
>> In earlier correspondence I think you said there is a commitment
>> to apply the ISO 25964 model to the AAT?
>
> As much as possible. Let me give an example: - Johan has agreed to
> use xl:prefLabel for the label of an Array (because rdfs:label is not
> supposed to point to xl:Label) - AAT has a few secondary labels for a
> few of the Arrays. We'll use xl:altLabel to represent them, unless
> Getty totally gives up such labels. This is a very minor deviation
> from the standard, which is an extension (i.e if someone doesn't want
> such labels, they can just ignore them)
>
>> would not mix up guide terms with concepts, but would find a way of
>> ensuring that hierarchical relationships are established *only*
>> between concepts
>
> Getty has *one* polyhierarchy that uses different "subject types":
> Facets, Hierarchies, Guide Terms, and Concepts. My intention is to:
> 1. represent all of Getty's Facets, Hierarchies and Guide Terms as
> iso:ThesaurusArray. 2. represent concepts as skos:Concept 3.
> represent the hierarchical relations using different properties:
> skos:Concept -skos:narrower-> skos:Concept -iso:subordinateArray->
> iso:ThesaurusArray iso:ThesaurusArray -skos:member-> skos:Concept
> iso:ThesaurusArray -skos:member-> iso:ThesaurusArray 4. "shortcut"
> skos:narrower properties to "go through Arrays". You can see an
> example in the attached diagram: the relation containers
> -skos:narrower-> vessels spans 2 levels in the original AAT
> hierarchy.
>
> Would you suggest something else?
>
>> the expression "parent"
>
> I mean the node above a given node in the hierarchy, be that a
> concept or array or whatever. (3 shows the different properties
> used)
>
>>> Consider these two cases that actually appear in AAT: 1. C1 <
>>> C2,C3: C1 (a concept) is parent of C2,C3 which are ordered 2. C1
>>> < GT1 < C2,C3: C1 is parent of GT1 (a guide term), which in turn
>>> is parent of C2,C3 which are ordered
>
> You give good examples in your doc. Here they are, I've added the
> things in *...*
>
> Case 1 cycles *inferior array with no node label* monocycles
> bicycles tricycles
>
> Case 2 milk <milk by fat content> : *Guide Term represented as Array
> with node label* skimmed milk semi-skimmed milk full fat milk
>
>>> case1: it's an *inferior* array: it does not exist separately
>>> from C1, it is the *same* as C1. I agree with Leonard's
>>> suggestion to use an Array without node label
>
> *Anonymous* is the word I use to describe an Array with no node
> label. *Inferior* is the word I use to describe an Array that sprung
> into existence only to cause a Concept's children to be ordered.
>
>> Whenever a thesaurus concept has more than one narrower concept at
>> one level down, those narrower concepts form a subordinate array.
>> (But I would not judge the subordinate array to be "the same as"
>> its broader concept.)

> [...]

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
stella@lukehouse.org