Re: UDEF Representation in RDF

Hi–

We are looking at the use of SKOS to be the basis of mapping the UDEF to RDF, and Richard has suggested that the members of this list could supply expertise on SKOS which is perhaps lacking in our team at present. Thanks, Richard, for the suggestion! List members, I hope that you will be able to provide some input.

The UDEF -  see  - http://www.opengroup.org/udef/ is an information index based on ISO 11179. It has two hierarchies, one for object classes, and the other for properties. The UDEF tag for an element is  defined as  an object class tag concatenated with a property tag.

We are looking at an approach that would define UDEF object classes and UDEF properties as SKOS concepts, and use SKOS narrower/broader to capture the relation between a parent object class and its children, and between a parent property and its children.

The initial questions that we have are:
    - Does this look like a sensible approach?
    - Should we make the whole of the UDEF a single SKOS concept scheme, or would it be better
      to have separate concept schemes for object classes and properties?

Input and advice from SKOS experts would be much appreciated!

Regards,
Chris
++++

Chris Harding