Re: Directed graphs

Hi Chuks,

On Antoine's point, when we re-did the ID.LOC.GOV codebase last year, I
actually wanted to use the protovis (now D3) force-directed graph
visualization [1].  In fact, I had it completely developed and
implemented, but given the time crunch to relaunch and the difficulties
(incompatibility) in getting protovis (now D3) to work in IE I had to
revert to the older visualization.  Still, I would check it out,
especially if the difficulties of getting the JS library to work in IE
have been cleanly addressed or you only need it to work in FF or Chrome.

I have an XQuery module that takes ntriples and outputs the
JSON expected by D3 for the force-directed graph visualization (providing nothing has changed
since protovis).  I could probably make the XQuery available, but it
would not be until the earliest next week.  Caveat: it may be somewhat
customized for ID - to only output the relations to other concepts, for
example - but I can no longer remember.

Yours,

Kevin

[1] http://mbostock.github.com/d3/ex/force.html

--
Kevin Ford
Network Development and MARC Standards Office