From: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@danbri.org>
To: "Christophe Dupriez" <dupriez@destin.be>
Cc: "SKOS" <public-esw-thes@w3.org>
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 2:39:59 PM
Subject: Re: GraphViz and SKOS...

On 15 February 2011 14:01, Christophe Dupriez <dupriez@destin.be> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I always resisted graphing thesauri relations because I thought relations
> can be presented through adequate layout and typography.
> I found by accident GraphViz ( http://www.graphviz.org ), an open source
> software existing since 1996 doing exactly what a non-graphic designer
> dreams:
> draw a good schema from logical relations...
>
> Many examples are in the documentation:
> http://www.graphviz.org/pdf/dotguide.pdf
>
> May be some of you know a better or more recent tool? Please let me know!
> The interesting thing to do now is to translate automatically and SKOS file
> (or extract) into a .DOT file...
>    Anyone has done experiments in that direction? Can we learn about it?

GraphViz is pretty cool. I made an RDF Viz tool with it some while ago
(http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2000Mar/0095.html)
and Art Barstow later integrated GraphViz into W3C's RDF Validator.

If you notice the graphing options in http://www.w3.org/RDF/Validator/
... that's graphviz.

(where it says "triples and/or graph", it's the "graph" option).

Although SKOS is expressed in RDF, and therefore the general RDF
visualizations will also display SKOS, it might be that a custom
SKOS-centric mapping to graphviz works better. Automatic layout only
works for small examples, ... but enough to usefully illustrate a data
structure.

For similar facilities in pure Javascript,
http://www.graphdracula.net/ is also worth a look.

One scenario is to use GraphViz as a 'first pass' at layout, then
import (via SVG?) into graphical desktop tools like OMNIGraffle, to
make a more elegant final version...

If you make something interesting, do share it here :)

cheers,

Dan

--
punkt. netServices