From: public-lld-request@w3.org [mailto:public-lld-request@w3.org] On Behalf
Of Cory Rockliff
Sent: Monday, November 01, 2010 9:12 PM
To: Denenberg, Ray; public-lld@w3.org
Subject: Re: pre-coordination

 From your example, it sounds like every pre-coordinated "heading" gets its
own authority description, as do its individual components. If this were
done programmatically with LCSH, wouldn't the result be loads of
syntactically "valid" but nonsensical combinations?

Re: MADS RDF, is there anything to read/look at right now, or should I sit
on my hands for a week or two?

Cory

On 11/1/10 4:57 PM, Ray Denenberg, Library of Congress wrote:
> Quote:  "Can anyone point me to research or implementations around the
> question of subject pre-coordination in a linked data context? It
> seems to me that this is still the elephant in the room when it comes
> to dealing with LCSH in a meaningful way."
>
> The XG use case 'Component Vocabularies',
> http://www.w3.org/2005/Incubator/lld/wiki/Use_Case_Component_Vocabular
> ies, deals specifically with this; its name (the "component" part) was
> chosen to emphasize the pre-coordination aspect.
>
> For example consider the (hypothetical) LCSH subject heading
> "Sailboats -- Design and construction". A bibliographic description
> for a book about sailboats might cite this subject heading and link to
> its authority description in MADS/RDF, which in turn will link to the
> individual component subject headings, "sailboats" and "Design and
Construction".

> The MADS RDF work, which has been developed over the past year or so,
> provides the necessary granularity to understand the components of the
> heading; a MADS/RDF ontology is expected to be available for public
> review within the next week or two.
---