Re: Status of resources (stable, testing etc)

From: Matthias Löbe <matthias.loebe@imise.uni-leipzig.de>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 15:33:04 +0200
To: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>
Cc: Alistair Miles <alimanfoo@googlemail.com>, Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>, Marc Wick <marc@geonames.org>, Dublin Core <DC-ARCHITECTURE@jiscmail.ac.uk>, SKOS <public-esw-thes@w3.org>, Leigh Dodds <leigh.dodds@talis.com>, Libby Miller <Libby.Miller@bbc.co.uk>, Lise Rozat <lise.rozat@mondeca.com>
Hello to all,

ISO 10241 "International terminology standards" has a scale of
acceptability ratings comprised of: "preferred", "admitted",
"deprecated", "obsolete" and "superseded".

Well, I always read "deprecated" as outdated, obsolete, superseded,
archaic, "was once approved, but should not used furthermore".

In contrast, I see cases where someone would like to express a status
"disapproved" as "We know it might be intuitive to raise such a
concept and we've discussed it, but for good reason we declined it and
won't discuss it again." (e.g. when a designation is not best practice
in a certain context).

Matthias Löbe, Inst. for Medical Informatics (IMISE), University of Leipzig
Härtelstr. 16, D-04107 Leipzig, +49 341 97 16113, loebe@imise.uni-leipzig..de