Re: UMTHES and SKOS-XL and Others!

Hi!

A few thoughts coming from this discussion:

* Indexing Authority List vs Existing Concepts Inventory: the MeSH is an
example of merging both.
   In MeSH/UMLS, Concepts have their specific labels (terms) but they
are grouped in micro-hierarchies to form an Heading entry.
  Example:
http://www.nlm.nih.gov/cgi/mesh/2010/MB_cgi?mode=&index=877&view=expanded
  I believe SKOS is able to represent most of MeSH attributes:
    * Concept Unique identifier is the "about"
    * Tree numbers (changing from one year to another) is a notation system
    * (Heading) Entry Unique Id is another notation system (an id within
a sub-scheme)
    * Registry Number (CAS) is another notation system (an id within
another scheme)
    * Terms are preferred labels or synonyms (depending of lexical tag
value)
    * Scope Notes are SKOS Scope notes. The concept references within
Scope Notes have to represented somehow.
    * Annotation and other are editor notes or other types of SKOS notes
  It remain to be found a good way to represent Semantic Types
(collections?) and Allowable qualifiers (collections too? or SKOS
extension?)
  In this example, a difficult problem is present: the Heading entry is
a specific (and not a generic) of the two other "non preferred" concepts!

* Full Natural Language Processing needs a way to efficiently treat the
EXCEPTIONS: the intuition believes that 80/20 rule is good enough.
   Reality is much more demanding: "small" linguistic errors are never
accepted by humans (when visible: this is why Google does not document
them!).
   So the representation of exceptions must be in the design of data
structures for Natural Language Processing systems.
   It is their main use (the general 80% rules can even be hard coded).
   This is way too complex to be seen as a simple SKOS extension.

* Thesaurus "projection" over a text has been used with success to
generate suggestions to human indexers (not for fully automatic indexation).
   It is very useful and it is true that having the necessary lexical
information in a SKOS extension to achieve this would be nice.
   It is limited to the detection of nominal groups but it may have
problems with different grammatical ways to express coordination between
elementary concepts in a term.
   To succeed, this "extension" normalization effort should be done to
define properties only for that precise purpose.

   In general, focused "purpose", open to the different applications
with that purpose, is the only way to deliver a working standard...

I am very very sorry I cannot attend "Classification at CrossRoads" and
the SKOS day, October the 30th in Nederlands: I hope to be able at
another occasion.
I suppose the communications will be available?

Have a nice day!

Christophe Dupriez