Re: language tags in RDF/XML vs. Turtle [was: Re: flashminutes from the Ecoterm meeting]

Thomas Bandholtz wrote:
> Hi Ivan,
>
> your helpful response did not reach public-esw-thes@w3.org as it
> inherited my typo in the CC line ... I corrected that

:-) And I should have checked... Thanks!

> It is important for this list, as the subject originated from a SKOS
> serialisation of GEMET by the European Environment Agency, and has
> impact on a current application of SKOSXL ("UMTHES").

I hope when it is finalized we can give some more publicity to it!

[skip]

> You may be right. I can live with omitting XML default language tags on
> the node (or even document) level and provide them with each literal
> individually (though this does not exactly mean the same).
>
> What still makes me wonder is the issue of equivalence of the two
> serialisations (XML vs. Turtle) of the same graph.
> Referring to the originating issue of this thread (see at the bottom):
> if EEA would express the same GEMET graph in Turtle, they would have to
> change the language tag pattern just as Antoine has expected, right?

In the case of Turtle, yes.

> To me this apears somehow puzzling, see:
> http://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/turtle/:  /"Turtle/ language, an
> alternative syntax to RDF/XML."
> http://www.w3.org/TR/owl2-primer/#OWL_Syntaxes: "The examples and the
> sample ontology in the appendix can be viewed as any of the four
> different syntaxes, and we provide both RDF/XML [RDF Syntax] and Turtle
> [RDF Turtle Syntax] serializations for the RDF-based syntax."

The sentence you quote from turtle is a little bit misleading indeed.
Turtle is an alternative too RDF/XML insofar as its main goal is to
encode RDF triples. It is also an alternative syntaxt to N-triples...

I am still not sure we have a problem. There are different syntaxes,
each have their pros and cons; the question whether you can encode all
valid RDF graphs in all of them and the answer is clearly yes on that.
Beyond that, each syntax has its pros and cons.

Although I tend to write down things in Turtle, one haas to see that
there _are_ some things in RDF/XML that are nice and it becomes more
verbose in Turtle. xml:lang is one; another example might be the setting
on XML node level the namespaces. This is, theoretically possible in
RDF/XML and there is no analogy for that in turtle. I am sure there are
other examples.

That being said: parsing RDF/XML is much more complex. It requires a
full XML parser. Of course, one can get those off the shelf these days,
but it is nevertheless it shows the complexity. The goal for turtle is
to make it much simpler... Also, for a casual reader it might become
more complex to understand RDF/XML, not the least because of all the
complexities of XML. Turtle is much  more readable in my view...

(B.t.w.: I have not checked the historical records on all that. Turtle
originates from TimBL's N3; it is N3 minus some syntax tricks. I wonder
whether N3 was not created before the first version of RDF/XML was
defined...)

 > May be this should at least be clarified in
 > http://www.w3.org/TeamSubmission/turtle/
 > What do you think?

I would leave the answer to the authors of the document...

Cheers

Ivan

Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/
mobile: +31-641044153