Re: SKOS support in Drupal

There is another way in which this is key.  For those of us who have
both a Drupal site and an ontology repository they like to use -- hmm,
maybe MMI is the only one like that has both, but you could use
*anyone's* repository -- this is very powerful.  We can manage the
Drupal taxonomies using the repository (or can at least export the
Drupal taxonomies to the repository).

So our community's work developing ontology and metadata
classification systems for our Drupal site can be exported to the
publicly visible list of community vocabularies, instead of being
hidden behind Drupal.  Generalizing this, imagine if the http://metadataregistry.org
  site contained all the classification systems that were used to
organize various Drupal sites -- now you have exposed a collection of
vocabularies that have been thought about and used to classify
content, which is a pretty powerful resource.

I'm not sure what the 'minimum criteria' are for a vocabulary to be
SKOS, we have a lot of OWL-DL vocabularies on the MMI ontology site
[1].  Few of them will be of a scope worth packaging with the system,
though, they're mostly about science stuff.

John

[1] MMI Ontology Registry: http://mmisw.org/or

On Nov 24, 2009, at 02:45, Dan Morrison wrote:

> Thanks Sean, that's definitely the sort of list I'm looking for. My
> browser history indicates I've found a *few* of them before. (and
> many more are defunct, damn)
> I still can't see any that will empower a killer app for the social,
> 2.0 or "semantic" web. I've found lists of economic terminology, but
> to sell it as an enhancement to a CMS, I need things more
> accessible, something that a blogger, marketer, corporate or
> institution would want to use to enhance the metadata of their
> readable content, not just academic data dumps.
> The broadest re-usable source I've found so far is MeSH which grew
> up to support PUBMed (I think). But it's not SKOS. So if there were
> a SKOS resource that was in any way authoritative, and not just a
> proof-of-concept, I'd love to link right in and embed it.
> (taxonomy_xml for the Drupal CMS is designed to feed from published
> external sources, it's not distributed with data itself (beyond
> samples).

John Graybeal   <mailto:jgraybeal@ucsd.edu>
phone: 858-534-2162
Development Manager