Re: Best practices: SKOS-XL or SKOS Core

Hi Christine,

in SKOS-XL you can have relations between terms (xl:Label) which you
cannot in SKOS.
SKOS only knows relations between Concepts, ConceptSchemes, and
Collections, while terms are simple string attributes.

As to your homograph example, I have described a full pattern in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2009Nov/0087.html

Johan gave a slightly different example from Eurovoc in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2009Nov/0092.html
He does not use xl.Label instances for the qualifiers like I do, they
are simple string attributes of the homograph Label.

Both examples are valid as far as I see.
But I think that "fish" and "music" might be in use as prefTerms (or
nonPrefTerms) of different Concepts as well, so they would exist as
xl:Label instances anyway. In this case why not relate to them for the
qualifiers?

I do not see any cons against the XL representation as long as you want
to express such (or similar) relations between terms.
Otherwise you would not need XL. SKOS without XL is more compact, based
on a general simplification of the lexical structure.

Best regards,
Thomas

--
Thomas Bandholtz, thomas.bandholtz@innoq.com, http://www.innoq.com
innoQ Deutschland GmbH, Halskestr. 17, D-40880 Ratingen, Germany