Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

On Nov 5, 2009, at 4:05 PM, Simon Spero wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Leonard Will <L.Will@willpowerinfo.co.uk
> > wrote:
>
> As you can certainly think about grains or sand, the fall of
> Carthage, or Mrs Obama, these fall within our definition of
> "concept". Perhaps some other word could be found to express this
> better and avoid confusion with a narrower definition such as
> "abstract concept", but the word "concept" is widely used in the
> thesaurus literature, in order to make a distinction between the
> thing that is thought about and the words that may be used to label
> it.
>
> My view of this is from the approach of the library / thesaurus /
> knowledge organisation community and the ISO thesaurus standard
> working party, and I cannot say definitively that the SKOS
> interpretation is the same - there have been some erudite
> discussions here about the difference between a thing and our
> thoughts about the thing, but from a practical point of view of
> applying indexing terms to resources these seem unnecessary.
>
> Obligatory unicorn: http://www.ibiblio.org/fred2.0/wordpress/?p=30

FWIW, I have no trouble with imaginary entities. Still, there is a
clear distinction between the concept of a unicorn and a particular
unicorn, eg the one depicted here:

http://bit.ly/3Hgz0P

> The SKOS working group explicitly rejected the  interpretation that
> a  skos:Concept is something that a Document is about, but declined
> to provide an explicit alternative.
>
> There are practical implications for indexing that follow from this
> decision.  For example, the SKOS broader relationship is not
> transitive; this is hard to understand with a document based domain
> of interpretation.  Without transitive BT relationships, standard
> indexing behaviors like upward posting, or assigning the most
> specific headings to a document are no longer possible  (or rather,
> give different results).
>
> Once one starts thinking extensionally this whole discussion becomes
> much easier ("Word and Subject?").
>
> For example:
>
> Everything that is-about something is a document.
> Everything that something is-about is a concept.

My problem is that this second assertion is blatantly false. I have
shelves full of books that are not about concepts at all. Biographies
are about people, not (usually) concepts of people. So at this point,
SKOS simply vanishes into never-never land. I have no idea what it is
talking about (quite literally).

Pat Hayes