Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

On Nov 5, 2009, at 2:51 PM, Antoine Isaac wrote:

> Hi Kingsley,
>
>> when specifically does one use "skos:exactMatch" etc? Based on my
>> response John (few minutes ago), I am assuming that the
>> partitioning of so called Named Entities and Subject Matter
>> Concepts was the line of delineation sought in SKOS which is about
>> Subject Matter/Heading style Concept Schemes?
>

> Well, as Leonard just put it, there can perfectly concepts for
> persons (as part of authority files in Libraries, for example).
> You could have a skos:Concept Mrs_Obama with a Library A as
> dc:creator, and another Concept Michelle_Obama created by Library B.
> Using owl:sameAs between those is certainly not ideal, as you end up
> with one resource being created by two different agents, and
> probably at different times, and so on. exactMatch fits that case.

If I follow this and your previous post, then sameAs will almost never
be true in the SKOS world, correct? The only case I can think of would
be where a library puts a new indexing system in place (for its
existing records), and retains the old one for legacy reasons, with
sameAs links between the old and new indices. That is, co-reference
between items in thesauri (both referring to FLOTUS) is irrelevant to
identity of the *concepts*.

Do I have this more or less right?

Pat