Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

Kingsley,

>>> Joachim,
>>>
>>> What do you mean by "smush" are you referring to the union expansion
>>> that results from combing data from all the data sources in the
>>> owl:sameAs relation? I pose my question with the skos:exactMatch
>>> description page URL [1] for context. I see Transitivity and
>>> Symmetry, which are factors re. decision making by reasoners re:
>>> union expansion based on participants in the relation. Note, by
>>> "union expansion" I mean the union of all data associated with the
>>> data items in the relation.
>>>
>>> Primarily, I just want clarification about "smushing",  relative to
>>> the property definition exposed by the skos:exactMatch URI,  more
>>> than anything else. Thus, far I've simply assumed that
>>> skos:exactMatch and owl:sameAs have similar implementation mechanics
>>> re. union expansion,
>>

>> Just to clarify it, in case the mails that came after have not done
>> it: using skos:exactMatch should *not* lead to attributing to the two
>> resouces that it relates the union of all data that is attached to them.
>>
>> I don't understand why transitivity and symmetry alone would allow a
>> reasoner to infer such "smushing/union expansion". Let's consider a
>> ex:connectedByARoad property. I can perfectly make it transitive and
>> symmetric, and yet all the towns that this property relates are not
>> one and the same.
> Sure, but the relation you use is neither "owl:sameAs" nor
> "skos:exactMatch". I think the subtle item here is that the property
> labels do actually matter. ex:connectedByARoad in no way conveys
> co-reference.

Er, yes. My comment was havily influenced by your "which are factors re. decision making by reasoners". Labels are not such a factor, so I inferred you were only basing your claim on the formal semantic axioms.

> BTW - your analogy is basically similar to a Transitivity
> example I put out re. SKOS and DBpedia a few weeks ago [1] :-)

:-)

> I think your other response re. Ms. Obama goes back to the Subject
> Matter/Heading delineation which I believe is the overarching focal
> point of of SKOS (classification by phenotype so to speak). Its about
> concept schemes and the hierarchies that may exist within and across
> schemes in different data spaces. Whereas, with "owl:sameAs" we are
> dealing with similar issues, but the orientation feeds of a genotype, so
> to speak.

As long as you're ok with the fact that there can be concepts/subject matters that are corresponding to persons (even though they would not be persons themselves), I'm ok...

Antoine

[snip]