Re: [Dbpedia-discussion] Using DBpedia resources as skos:Concepts?

Hi Kingsley,

>> Sorry for causing some misunderstanding: My point was not that you
>> SHOULD use skos:Concept. What I rather wanted to say is that it does
>> no harm and that it's already in use for named entites.
>> This point arises from the suggestion to use
>> skos:exactMatch/closeMatch. These properties are sub-sub-properties of
>> skos:semanticRelation, which entails that subject and object of these
>> properties are instances of skos:Concept (since skos:Concept are
>> domain and range for skos:semanticRelation).
>>
>> The great advantage of skos:exactMatch/closeMatch (over owl:sameAs) is
>> that their semantic doesn't smush the resources with all their
>> properties (like the administrative properties you mentioned).
> Joachim,
>
> What do you mean by "smush" are you referring to the union expansion
> that results from combing data from all the data sources in the
> owl:sameAs relation? I pose my question with the skos:exactMatch
> description page URL [1] for context. I see Transitivity and Symmetry,
> which are factors re. decision making by reasoners re: union expansion
> based on participants in the relation. Note, by "union expansion" I mean
> the union of all data associated with the data items in the relation.
>
> Primarily, I just want clarification about "smushing",  relative to the
> property definition exposed by the skos:exactMatch URI,  more than
> anything else. Thus, far I've simply assumed that skos:exactMatch and
> owl:sameAs have similar implementation mechanics re. union expansion,

Just to clarify it, in case the mails that came after have not done it: using skos:exactMatch should *not* lead to attributing to the two resouces that it relates the union of all data that is attached to them.

I don't understand why transitivity and symmetry alone would allow a reasoner to infer such "smushing/union expansion". Let's consider a ex:connectedByARoad property. I can perfectly make it transitive and symmetric, and yet all the towns that this property relates are not one and the same.

Antoine