De: public-esw-thes-request@w3.org de la part de Alistair Miles
Date: ven. 13/02/2009 15:41
À: Stephen Bounds
Cc: public-esw-thes@w3.org
Objet : Re: broader and broaderMatch... and BT???

Hi Stephen,

Yes, this is a great idea. I brought this up withi the WG a while ago,
the WG has been focused on reaching candidate rec so hasn't discussed
it yet, but Tom Baker has been very diligent in making sure it stays
on the agenda.

Do you think a wiki page on the W3C site would be enough to act as a
"registry" of SKOS extensions? Or do we need more than that?

Cheers,

Alistair

On Fri, Feb 13, 2009 at 07:52:26AM +1100, Stephen Bounds wrote:

> [...]
> *owner* of the package (not just hoping that people can publish on their
> own web pages and get a sufficient rank on Google).
>
> Doing this reduces the proliferation of competing extensions to some
> extent and focuses community effort.
>
> SKOS sits somewhere between a technology (eg XML) and a software
> package.  I believe it could benefit from a similarly endorsed community
> extension model.
>
> This could be achieved simply by inserting something into the
> Recommendation like: "The SKOS standard was built was extensibility in
> mind.  A list of unofficial community extensions to SKOS can be found at
> http://w3c.org/xxx."  Then, just give people a way for people to submit
> their extensions to the SKOS group for listing on a W3C web page.
>
> Even better would be the ability to submit under an "extension" subtype
> of the W3C, eg http://www.w3.org/2008/05/x-skos/iso#bt.  I can
> appreciate that this might be politically difficult to arrange, however.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -- Stephen.
>
> Alistair Miles wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I'm afraid it is too late in the day to consider addition of new
>> vocabulary to SKOS in time for the Recommendation schedule. We are
>> approaching candidate recommendation, and any substantive changes
>> needed to be considered prior to last call.
>>
>> However, if there is consensus that this is an important requirement,
>> then I would be more than happy to provide an indication to future
>> working groups that this should be given further consideration.
>>
>> In the mean time, anybody is of course free to publish their own
>> extensions to SKOS, and to disseminate them as a community practice. I
>> anticipate that many important requirements may only be met through
>> third party extensions and usage conventions established within the
>> community. If anyone has any suggestions as to how we might best
>> support such community efforts, I'd love to hear them--it is on the
>> agenda for the SWDWG to consider community support, but we're a bit
>> short of effort at the moment.
>>
>> Personally, I don't find a need to introduce a sub-property of
>> skos:broader that is intended only for use within a single concept
>> scheme. I find skos:broader to be sufficient, when used in conjunction
>> with skos:inScheme. I also find skos:broader to correspond perfectly
>> well to the ISO notion of BT.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> Alistair
>>
>> On Mon, Feb 02, 2009 at 03:17:01PM +0100, Christophe Dupriez wrote:
>>> I like this proposal !
>>>
>>> Is it reasonable to follow it for implementation?
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Christophe

>>> begin:vcard
>>> fn:Christophe Dupriez
>>> n:Dupriez;Christophe
>>> org:DESTIN inc. SSEB
>>> adr;quoted-printable:;;rue des Palais 44, bo=C3=AEte 1;Bruxelles;;B-1030;Belgique
>>> title:Informaticien
>>> tel;work:+32/2/216.66.15
>>> tel;fax:+32/2/242.97.25
>>> tel;cell:+32/475.77.62.11
>>> note;quoted-printable:D=C3=A9veloppement de Syst=C3=A8mes de Traitement de l'Information
>>> x-mozilla-html:TRUE
>>> url:http://www.destin.be
>>> version:2.1

--