Re: Lightweight RDF to Map Various Semantic Representations of Species

Hi Pete,

One can indeed understand that you prefer to have closeMatch between things that are indeed much more similar.
I guess that in the first Linnaeus classification, pumas were considered to be some form of cats, and then the name of the class was changed. Even if the beast itself remains, its understanding by biologists has changed, making it quite a different concept, arguably.

I don't really understand when you say that LSID "will" change with each yearly update, though. I would have hoped that once "felis concolor" has been given an ID once, it keeps it, at least until the next time that name itself is changed.

Cheers,

Antoine

PS: By the way, this CoL classification is a great use case for those interested in concept versioning and changes. Looking at [1] I would have thought that "Felis concolor Linnaeus, 1771" and "Puma concolor (Linnaeus, 1771)" are two labels (possibly represented using the more complex skos-xl:Label class [2]) of one same concept. But their respective pages show that different hierarchical links are being maintained for those two classes, making them indeed different skos:Concepts. I knew of course that this happens, but it's nice to have all data published, and in RDF :-)

[1] http://www.ubio.org/browser/details.php?namebankID=105509
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-reference/skos-xl.html