Re: Scientific and common names in SKOS

Hi all,

I think people (me included) still tend to put on their "traditional
thesaurus hat" when thinking about SKOS.

SKOS is quite clear that altLabel doesn't directly map to the concept of
non-preferred terms in the "use/use for" sense (U/UF) -- not least since
prefLabel is *optional* for SKOS concepts.

Rather, prefLabel is simply a "clue" as to which label should be used
when displaying that concept.

Antoine's solution looks quite workable.  Another option would be to add
extra attributes in a different namespace to disambiguate the intended
uses for each altLabel and prefLabel term:

   <skos:Concept rdf:about=
       "http://www.fao.org/aims/aos/agrovoc#potatoes">
     <skos:prefLabel fao:type="common" xml:lang="en">
         potatoes</skos:prefLabel>
     <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="es">papa</skos:prefLabel>

     <skos:altLabel fao:type="scientific">
         Solanum tuberosum L.</skos:prefLabel>
     <skos:altLabel fao:type="synonym" xml:lang="en">
         Irish Potato</skos:altLabel>
     <skos:altLabel fao:type="synonym" xml:lang="en">
         white potato</skos:altLabel>
     <skos:altLabel fao:type="synonym" xml:lang="en">
         potato (Solanaceae)</skos:prefLabel>
     <skos:altLabel fao:type="synonym" xml:lang="es">
         patata</skos:prefLabel>
     <skos:altLabel fao:type="synonym">
         Solanum tuberosum</skos:prefLabel>
   </skos:Concept>

This has the benefit of allowing filtering on a matrix basis, i.e. all
"common" + "en" terms.

Cheers,

-- Stephen.