From: public-esw-thes-request@w3.org [mailto:public-esw-thes-request@w3.org]
On Behalf Of Stella Dextre Clarke
Sent: Monday, 12 May, 2008 15:16
To: Alasdair J G Gray
Cc: Simon Spero; SKOS
Subject: Re: Status update

Alasdair J G Gray wrote:
>  >
> Simon Spero wrote:
>> The status of mappings is Epic.
>>
> Are they being dropped from the proposed SKOS standard or are they
> being kept in with some change of format?
Mappings are difficult. They are not just difficult to construct, but it is
also hard to envisage the ways in which they will be used, and derive from
that vision the most helpful model for representing them. ( Not so hard to
do a one-off for a particular need, but how to satisfy
everybody??) I don't know, but I guess the SKOS team is hard pressed with
other priorities, and needs a lot more time to come up with a robust design.
I can't imagine that they would drop the ambition to get there in the end.
All the best!
Stella
Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
stella@lukehouse.org