Re: RE : Suggestion for SKOS FAQ

Hi Margaret & Andy,

I thought that too when I first looked at the SKOS Primer, but you need
to remember that OWL sub-properties are subtractive, not additive.

Another way of putting this is that super-properties make *less*
restrictive statements about the world.

The full hierarchy of skos:broader is:

  skos:semanticRelation
   skos:broaderTransitive
    skos:broader

Which means that for A skos:broader B, this entails that:

  A skos:broaderTransitive B  and
  A skos:semanticRelation B

We can't reverse the order of skos:broaderTransitive and skos:broader in
the because of the transitive case.  If:

   A skos:broaderTransitive B  and
   B skos:broaderTransitive C  then
   A skos:broaderTransitive C  but

   A skos:broader C   is NOT entailed

If skos:broader were a super-property of skos:broaderTransitive, this
statement would also need to be true.

Regards,

-- Stephen.