Re: RE : Suggestion for SKOS FAQ

Hi,

first I din't pay much attention to your discussion, because I thought
this case is clear... looking at the spec I read
"skos:broaderTransitive owl:subClassOf skos:broader" - but there it
says (to my surprise): skos:broaderTransitive and others are "super
properties" - why that?

If I would model this I would say:

skos:semanticRelation a owl:ObjectProperty .
skos:broader a skos:semanticRelation .
skos:narrower a skos:semanticRelation .
skos:broaderTransitive a skos:broader; a owl:TransitiveProperty .
skos:narrowerTrasnsitive a skos:narrower; a owl:TransitiveProperty .
and so on...

can anybody comment on this why the specs says "super property" and
not "sub property" ?
Whith the statements above I can deceide whether to allow transitivity
or not. And because of OWA, skos:broader not explicitly asserted as a
transtive property, it does not mean, that it _cannot be_ transitive,
sure it can, but it does not need to be valid.

If a taxonomy should be ISO2788 compliant, just use the *Transitive
versions - so it's up to the modeler and not to the application which
I think is fine.

regards
Andy

On Mar 11, 2008, at 10:46 AM, Alasdair J G Gray wrote:

> Hi Antoine,
>
> I've got to admit that in reading the SKOS Primer [2], in particular
> sections 2.3.1 and 4.7, I became very confused as to the properties
> of skos:broader and skos:broaderTransitive. In particular the fact
> that skos:broaderTransitive is a super property of skos:broader.
>
> However, reading your mail below has cleared things up for me.
> Perhaps the primer should be more explicit in the difference.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Alasdair
>
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/skos-primer/
>
> Antoine Isaac wrote:
>>

>> Hi Simon,
>>
>> Two objections to your mail:
>>
>> 1. I still don't get it why ISO2788 says BT *should* be transitive.
>> Of course there can be interpretations that leads to this, but it's
>> still not 100% clear to me. Can you quote a sentence that makes you
>> say so?
>>
>> 2. In the exemple you give, SKOS does not prohibit A broader C. We
>> say that broader is *not transitive*, that different from saying
>> that it is *intransitive* (or "antitrantisitive") ! "transitivity
>> does not hold" does *not* mean that (NOT A broader C) is valid in
>> all cases.
>>
>> Maybe actually point 2 is an answer to point 1, if you got our
>> proposal for skos:broader semantics wrong.
>> To sum up:
>> - from A skos:broader B, B skos:broader C you cannot automatically
>> infer A skos:broader C: there are concept schemes for which this
>> would be assuming too much coherence for the hierarchical links.
>> - there can be concept schemes for which the co-existence A
>> skos:broader B, B skos:broader C and A skos:broader C is OK. Maybe
>> all thesauri that are compliant with ISO2788, if ISO2788 say BT is
>> always transitive. But the A skos:broader C was in that case
>> produced by some knowledge that is not in the SKOS semantics.
>>
>> Does it make the situation clearer? You can also go to [1], when
>> Alistair noticed this subtle differences (that had been also
>> interfering with the SWD working group discussions)
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Antoine
>>
>> [1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2007Dec/0052.html

Dipl.-Ing.(FH) Andreas Langegger
Institute for Applied Knowledge Processing
Johannes Kepler University Linz
A-4040 Linz, Altenberger Straße 69
http://www.langegger.at