Re: FW: [SKOS] semantics

Hi,

Nice work!

Miles, AJ (Alistair) wrote:

> To explore the feasibility of this approach, and to provide a
> concrete basis for discussion of specific semantic conditions, I have
> written a draft semantics of SKOS as a semantic extension of RDFS:
>
> [2]
> http://www.w3.org/2006/07/SWD/wiki/SkosDesign/RdfsSemanticExtension?action=recall&rev=6

Semantic Condition 1 (preferred lexical label cardinality)
Semantic Condition 2 (lexical label disjoint)
Semantic Condition 3 (alternative lexical label isolation)

Looks ok, but as long as the two different aspects of prefLabel (beeing
a unique identifier and beeing the preferred string for display) are
mixed together this will cause problems. You could want one label for
identification ("notation") and one for display ("caption"). See
http://esw.w3.org/topic/SkosDev/ClassificationPubGuide for one possible
solution, but a split of both property purposes may be a better way. In
the current state I would say Semantic Condition 3 is not ok.

Semantic Condition 4 (broader/narrower inverse)
Semantic Condition 5 (related symmetric)
Semantic Condition 6 (broader/related disjoint)

Ok. By the way about non-symmetric ("see also") links between concepts?
There should be a recommended way how to encode them.

SKOS Semantic Condition 7: broader circularity

This should be an additional condition at a higher level then the other
condition. Of course in most cases circles do not make sense but they
may occur (the category system of Wikipedia is an example - there
regularly circles occur). Circles are less easy to reduce so they should
be not recommended but not forbidded by default. Just do it the same way
as the Transitivity of skos:broader condition

SKOS axiomatic triples

skos:prefLabel rdfs:range rdfs:Literal.
skos:altLabel rdfs:range rdfs:Literal.
skos:hiddenLabel rdfs:range rdfs:Literal.

I don't agree on this. How about prefered sign language labels, prefered
image representations? Annotated labels that are resources of their own?

Greetings,
Jakob