Re: [SKOS] languages and scripts

Hi Jakob

Seems we are very close indeed. Thanks for merging the pages!

I think your approach of making a combination of tags a narrower concept
of each component is better than mine, and I would be indeed happy to
get rid of owl classes altogether, but nevertheless capture in some way
that #zh is a primary language, #Hant a script (right?) and #HK a region.
Soo ... maybe we could simply define a "tagType" attribute to flag the
simple tags (lang is the default namespace, whatever that will be)

<skos:Concept rdf:about='#zh'>
  <skos:prefLabel>zh</skos:prefLabel>
  <skos:altLabel>Chinese</skos:altLabel>
  <lang:tagType rdf:resource="#PrimaryLanguage">
  <dc:date>2005-10-16</dc:date>
</skos:Concept>

Typing without classes is certainly better in this case than subclassing
skos:Concept, because otherwise we will have a quite weird conceptScheme
with concepts in different classes, with common narrower concepts with
none of those. Very bizarre ...

And we also forget about any "Language" class, which is certainly a good
idea, and actually going around the difficulty of defining what "is"a
language.  Which I gladly buy (because nobody will ever be able to
define what a language is).

I now look at my example document
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French, written in en-US about fr-CA
to see how it flies:

  <foaf:Document rdf:about="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quebec_French">
    <dc:language rdf:resource="&lang;en-US"/>
    <dc:subject rdf:resource="&lang;fr-CA">
  </foaf:Document>

Not bad. We have in your model
lang:en-US   skos:broader   lang:en
lang:en-US   skos:broader   lang:US

So I will find my document by looking under either "lang:en" or
"lang:US" indexes. Seems to fly well indeed. :-)

Bernard

--

*Bernard Vatant
*Knowledge Engineering