Re: [SKOS] RE : Skos mapping issues

Hi Doug and Ceri,

Thanks very much for your answer. Very useful!

Now if I understand we can say that between two schemes we have two kind
of links (taking BT as a simplification)
1. standard BT, as in a simple thesaurus, that can be used for scheme
extension. I agree with this: my criticism was on the your saying that
skos:broader was an intra-thesaurus link while I also wanted to make use
it as inter-thesaurus link ;-)
2. mapping BT, which has a fundamentally different meaning. Standard BT
would imply strong agreement on the scope/domain of the concept scheme,
giving a standard BT assertion all kind of normative effect on the
meaning of the considered concepts, while BT for mapping could be much
more lenient on this point. If we agree on this (and you're really not
far from convincing me ;-) then it's true that the linking construct
should be different, as it is the case in the original SKOS mapping
vocabulary draft [1]

Now the point about  BT and provenance. Some people on the SWD and SKOS
list argue for using skos:broader just inside a single concept scheme to
ensure that there won't be amiguity on this point.
I find too constraining a stance, we should allow case 1 above. Yet, to
answer your question, there is no direct way, if we allow for such
inter-scheme skos:broader, to know that a given skos:broader corresponds
to a scheme extension. You would have to query for the inScheme of both
concepts, and see whether they are identical or not.
My position and that is that this trick is not difficult to implement,
and its condition (having inScheme properly declared for the concepts)
not difficult to ensure by giving proper guidelines. Provenance
consideration shall not prevent us from using skos:broader between
different schemes. I hope you agree with that...

Best,

Antoine

[1] http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/mapping/spec/