Re: SKOS properties

Hi, All,
Of course, I agree with the rdf discussion -- this works. But I'm also
interested in the idea of exploring antonymity on a cline of equivalence --
this is similar to some of what we do in terminology management. Libo Si
cites: exact match, broadmatch, narrowmatch, majormatch, minormatch -- as
degrees of equivalence. We (the terminologists in ISO 12620) have a rather
vague "degree of equivalence", plotted on a scale of 1-9, with 1 being exact
match and 9 probably being out to the right of "minormatch" -- maybe
"minuscule match" (I'm just making this up at this point). Conceivably one
could plot a somewhat artificial point where there is a break in the cline
and you revert to 0 (ostensibly nullmatch, but with the agreed assumption
that 0 implies antonymity to some degree). Of course "not-equivalent" is not
the same thing as antonymous. Black and magenta are not equivalent, but we
don't think of them as antonymous. So there'd have to be a clear distinction
between "not equivalent" and "antonymous". One of the problems with
cline-like scales is my poison cookie analogy (heh, everybody has to have
something people remember them for). I have a nice plate of cookies
(multilingual conceptual equivalents). They are very attractive and you are
invited to take your pick. Oh, and by the way, one of the cookies is
poisonous (i.e., it has an equivalence value of, let's say, an 8 as opposed
to 1 or 2). But I don't tell you what there is about the cookie that makes
it an 8, so you are in the dark as to how to recognize, or whether you could
go ahead and eat, that cookie (use that term) and not suffer unpleasant
consequences. This is where the scope note (we have something called
"transfer comment" that is specific to translation equivalents) comes in. A
human user can interpret it, and it could conceivably be configured in such
a way that a parser could also control that problematic entry as well,
provided that we came up with a good way to mark the discrepancies.
Bye for now
Sue Ellen

--
Sue Ellen Wright