Re: Modeling change in and between schemes using SKOS - the problem of persistent URIs

Joseph Tennis wrote:

> DDC has evolved over the 19th into the 21st century.  During that time
> concepts are represented in various ways with various relationships (as
> seen to some degree in Notation and See Also references).
>
> In DDC in 1911 we have the concept of Eugenics as a Science.  It has
> changed.  How do we model such changes in SKOS?

You don't want to model al ethical, social, scientific etc. discussion
about concepts in SKOS, do you? SKOS is not Cyc.

A search in DDC 21 for "eugenics" brings:

176     Ethics of sex and reproduction
363.92 	Population quality
363.97 	Sterilization
364.4 	Prevention of crime and delinquency
613.94 	Birth control and reproductive technology

As far as I know 363.92 was called "Eugenics" before. There are still
publications in this area but of course the methods and goals have
changed - see
http://www.georgetown.edu/research/nrcbl/publications/scopenotes/sn28.htm
for an annotated bibliography.

To know if and how the changes between DDC 1911 and DDC edition 21 have
to be modeled we have to look at the books indexed under eugenics and
look how they would be classified today - then you can create a mapping.

>> My naive impression is that this could cause problems later, as it's
>> modifying (/adding to) the Concept part, when (if I understand
>> correctly) the problem is actually with the modelling of scheme
>> changes. This looks like an n-ary relation tying together a specific
>> scheme, specific change note and (common) concept.
>>
>> A change note which applied to both to a concept and a scheme might
>> help, but there's a snag in that changeNote/historyNote are
>> properties. I wonder if you made a class Note this might help:
>>
>> Concept
>>    historyNote
>>           Note
>>                associatedWithScheme
>>                    ConceptScheme
>>

>> Or maybe you could maybe start from the scheme, with a subclass
>> AnnotatedScheme which could include a collection of change notes.
>>

> Right!  So that's the issue!  How can SKOS handle this elegantly?  We
> don't want a clumsy solution to something that every scheme that goes
> through versions is going to have to deal with.

Ok, now maybe I finally understand you. You want version in notes for
concepts that stay the same. Well, at least I would like that ;-) How
about this:

<skos:Concept rdf:about="...">
  <skos:prefLabel xml:lang="en">Eugenics</skos:prefLabel>
  <skos:note rdf:resource="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics"/>
</skos:Concept>

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eugenics provides full versioning since
it's a Wiki but the concepts stays the same (more or less).

Greetings,
Jakob