Re: SKOS Core enquiry

Benjamin Nowack wrote:

> Quentin Reul wrote:
>
>> I was wondering if you could explain why skos:broader and skos:narrower
>> properties have been added as part of the SKOS vocabulary. My query is
>> based on the fact that generalization/specification can already be
>> represented by properties such as rdfs:subClassOf.
>
> SKOS concepts differ from rdfs/owl classes, one of the purposes of SKOS
> (the main one?) is to be less precise than RDF schemas/ontologies in
> order to avoid unwanted restrictions and inference effects caused by
> using RDFS or OWL constructs.

See http://jodi.tamu.edu/Articles/v01/i08/Doerr/#_Toc497798911 for a
short description of the problem.

>> Furthermore,  the Semantic Web tend to claim that reuse is very
>> important. However, properties such as skos:subject or
>> skos:primarySubject are already present in other languages such as
>> foaf:topic and foaf:primaryTopic respectively in FOAF
>> <http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/>.

I wonder if Semantic Web tends to claim that reuse is very important why
it so little reuses the knowledge of library and information science.

> The domain of foaf:topic is foaf:Document, the domain of skos:subject,
> however, is not restricted (looks like you can tag real-life objects
> like conferences etc. with SKOS). I also think SKOS adds some (informally
> described) transitivity features to skos:subject (in combination with
> broader/narrower).

See the idea of "Limited Cost Expansion" in Alistair's NKOS
presentation, slide 42-45:
http://www.ukoln.ac.uk/nkos/nkos2006/presentations/miles.pdf

By the way relevance of a relationship cannot directly be modeled in SKOS.

>> The W3C have proposed a draft for Wordnet in RDFS and OWL
>> <http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/BestPractices/WNET/wordnet-sw-20040713.html>
>> and I was wondering if there was any plans to represent WordNet in SKOS.

If Wordnet is used for indexing than there will probably be a SKOS
representation of it.

Greetings,
Jakob