Re: Side question : mapping OWL classes to SKOS concepts Re: SKOS Guide and owl:sameAs

Hi Mark

Mark van Assem a écrit :
>> Well I'm not sure what you mean exactly by an "off-line conversion of
>> the ontology to SKOS", and as said above, I'm not even sure if such an
> > expression makes sense at all. First it sounds like you're thinking
> > there is a single and systematic way to convert OWL to SKOS, and I hope
>
> No, that's not what I meant.
I was pretty sure of that. Just pointed that the way you put it could be
misunderstood - at least by me :-)

>> it's not the case. Second, it would lead folks to think that SKOS and
>> OWL are just two languages to model the same things differently,
>> which IMO is plainly wrong. Actually I hope the ongoing SKOS
>> standardization
>
> The problem you are having is twofold:
>
> 1- two different ways to model the world (backoffice/front: one in
> terms of stars, another in terms of hotel quality)
>
> 2- two different languages to describe domain models (OWL/SKOS: one as
> a formal class hierarchy, another in loose broader/narrower hierarchy)
Agreed

> I am suggesting that problem 1 has nothing to do with problem 2; they
> are orthogonal. To solve problem 1, you need domain specific rules to
> convert information from one domain model to the other (from stars to
> quality). You can:
> - specify rules in some programming language that convert at runtime
> - specify rules in RDF that get interpreted at runtime
So far there is nothing done at runtime even for problem 1, the back
office content is exported as "publication files", which are indexed by
the taxonomy engine, along with Web content.
> To solve problem 2 you probably can use some static rules but like you
> suggest might need some specific ones like you seem to be doing
> (relating a SKOS concept to specific classes, instances,...)
>
> With my "offline" remark I was suggesting that whatever solutions to 1
> and 2 you have in place now, you can do the conversions from the OWL
> data (backend) to the SKOS model (frontend) at "design time" (e.g.
> once a day on your server), not at "runtime" (e.g. each time a query
> about a Hotel comes in).
OK, understood. That's indeed what we do in this case where the workflow
is quite slow.

> Hope I'm still making sense...
Sure, you are :-)

*Bernard Vatant