RE: notes at contepts vs notes at terms

Absolutely! Sue Ellen has hit the nail on the head again. Wordnet is
very nice, a lexical database that is useful for loads of linguistic and
literary purposes. But it is not a controlled vocabulary, and not
designed primarily for information retrieval. It is (correctly in my
view) built to a different model. Here I am back to my old hobby-horse:
it is dangerous to expect the same model to work for several different
applications. (That said, I do accept that it may be possible and useful
to have one "core" model with different "add-ons" for different
applications.)

When I get time, I'll try to reply to Alistair's request for examples of
note types that may apply to terms rather than to concepts.

Cheers
Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk