From: RichardN [mailto:RichardN@sfwindows.co.uk]
Sent: 24 May 2005 09:32
To: Stella Dextre Clarke; Miles, AJ (Alistair); public-esw-thes@w3.org
Subject: RE: XML schemas and thesauri question

Hello Stella,

Thanks for your response.  I think you've addressed the two questions
that I asked Alistair, but not in enough detail for me to understand
what you mean.  I think the reason the issue is a "problem" for me is
down to my lack of understanding - hopefully you will bear with my
ignorance.

>>To do this, I guess, you would need to represent the thesaurus in some
form of XML format (which is best?)

>On the one hand, set up the thesaurus as a Namespace, available at all
times over the Internet or intranet.

I don't understand what you mean by this, sorry.  Would it be possible
for you to give an example of how you would set up a short section of
thesaurus "as a namespace"?

>>and then the bit I don't see at all - declaring somewhere (in the XML
schema?) that the tissue sample type data item should be constrained in
the manner I explained.

> The schema must include the full details that allow this to be
connected up with the Namespace where this term may be found.

The example schema I provided had a definition for a child element of
"sample" called "type", whose value I wanted to constrain to one of a
set of values found in my thesaurus.  How would I amend the definition
in the schema below in order to do this?

Thanks for any help,

Richard

  _____