RE: Models

Just a small addition to the modelling difficulties. For term-based
models as well as for concept-based models, it is very hard to cope with
"A USE B + C". Is the concept of A actually in the thesaurus or is it
not? It is provided for, yes, by prescribing the combination of two
concepts that are definitely "in". But do you treat A like any other
concept, or does the model have to change?

Traditional print-based thesauri provide inverse entries such as "B  UF+
A". Thesaurus management software that can cope with these is hard to
find. (Yes there are some, but not many).

There's a lot to say on the topic of how to manage synthesised (rather
than enumerated) concepts/terms/notations in knowledge organisation
systems, but no time to say it all now...
Stella

Stella Dextre Clarke
Information Consultant
Luke House, West Hendred, Wantage, Oxon, OX12 8RR, UK
Tel: 01235-833-298
Fax: 01235-863-298
SDClarke@LukeHouse.demon.co.uk