RE: Question on skos:subject domain

I also agree on leaving the skos:subject domain open. Seems to me that SKOS should be
agnostic on the many possible ways concepts and concept schemes can be used for indexing,
and the types of objects (resources) that are likely to be indexed. Restricting the domain
of skos:subject to foaf:Document either entails extension of foaf:Document to things which
will not really fit in its original semantics, or restrict too much the use of
skos:subject.

IMO no general inference on the class of a:foo should be possible from a general assertion
like

a:foo		skos:subject  	b:someConcept

I rather imagine the use of owl:Restriction to define that such type of resource is using
such concept scheme, like e.g.

Definition of eg:TechnicalConcept as the subClass of skos:Concept for which skos:inScheme
value is eg:TechnicalTerminology

  <owl:Class rdf:about="http://www.eg.org#TechnicalConcept">
    <rdfs:subClassOf rdf:resource="http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#Concept"/>
    <owl:equivalentClass>
      <owl:Restriction>
        <owl:hasValue>
          <skos:ConceptScheme rdf:about="http://www.eg.org#TechnicalTerminology"/>
        </owl:hasValue>
        <owl:onProperty>
          <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#inScheme"/>
        </owl:onProperty>
      </owl:Restriction>
    </owl:equivalentClass>
  </owl:Class>

Definition of eg:TechnicalDocument as class of resources being indexed by some
eg:TechnicalConcept

  <owl:Class rdf:about="http://www.eg.org#TechnicalDocument">
    <rdfs:subClassOf>
      <owl:Restriction>
        <owl:someValuesFrom rdf:resource="http://www.eg.org#TechnicalConcept"/>
        <owl:onProperty>
          <owl:ObjectProperty rdf:about="http://www.w3.org/2004/02/skos/core#subject"/>
        </owl:onProperty>
      </owl:Restriction>
    </rdfs:subClassOf>
  </owl:Class>

>From such declarations, I could e.g. entail that a given resource is a TechnicalDocument,
from the fact that it is indexed on a TechnicalConcept.

Does that make sense?

Bernard Vatant
Senior Consultant
Knowledge Engineering