Re: Getting back to "terms"...

On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 01:03:05PM -0000, Alistair Miles wrote:
> > >On further reflection, however, I am still bothered by the potential
> > >for confusion between the notion of a "thesaurus term" (a lexical or
> > >natural-language label, which may _sometimes_ also be a descriptor
> > >identifying a concept) and an SKOS or Dublin Core "term"
>
> I think 'term' on its own is far too overloaded, and would
> avoid trying to define it - it's only good for informal prose.

Perhaps that is wisest...  Or perhaps it should be in the Glossary
with a definition along the lines of "a very general, overloaded
term which means different things in different contexts"...

> However, I think the following could be usefully defined (some suggestions from me):
>
> 'RDF term' (defined precisely in: http://www.w3.org/TR/rdf-sparql-query/#TriplePatterns)
> 'RDF vocabulary' - a set of RDF terms (can't find an existing definition anywhere)
> 'Natural language term' - a word or phrase used to denote/label a concept.

That's what I was trying to get at with "thesaurus term";
"natural-language term" (but with hyphen!) is more generic...

> 'Descriptor' - a natural language term that is the preferred label for a concept.
> 'Non-descriptor' - a natural language term that is the non-preferred (alternative) label for a concept.
> 'DCMI metadata term' - (Tom how would you define this?  Different from 'RDF term'?)

http://dublincore.org/documents/abstract-model/#sect-7 says:

    term

        The generic name for a property (i.e. element or
        element refinement), vocabulary encoding scheme,
        syntax encoding scheme or concept taken from a
        controlled vocabulary (concept space).

Tom

--
Dr. Thomas Baker                        Thomas.Baker@izb.fraunhofer.de
Institutszentrum Schloss Birlinghoven         mobile +49-160-9664-2129