Getting lost RE: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] skos:denotes

Yeah, there are bunch of different levels this conversation is running on,
and I find it hard to follow them all. Here's what I think is being said:

If someone makes a thesaurus with a concept that represents "this fellow Al"
and someone else makes some FOAF RDF that talks about "the person with email
address <A.J.Miles@rl.ac.uk>", it would be helpful to have some way of saying
that "(within the context where you believe this statement) these two sets of
descriptions are of the same thing".

A good reason for amking this a magic property that isn't just owl:sameAs or
rdfs:subClass or something is to keep some seperation between the thesaurus
stuff and the FOAF stuff. Because you're likely to find that in a number of
contexts the relation doesn't hold. One such scenario is where the models
of the different descriptions of Al are basically incompatible - for example
one description says he is chinese because he lives in china and another says
he is Thai because his father is.

You could deal with this scenario by using provenance mechanisms to find out
where each assertion about Al comes from, but for some number of use cases
it's easier to have them seperated, with this proposed property as the
"glue", than to merge the RDF graphs and then untangle the bits you want.

One of these use cases (it's a real world use case even if the above doesn't
hold) is what I described in  -
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-esw-thes/2004Sep/0064.html earlier
this evening (my time :-)

cheers