RE: domain/range for skos props & 'skos:denotes'

Hi Bernard, all,

> For example the concept of "Composer" can be formalized
> in some ontology as a Class
> (with instances "Mozart", "Bach", ...), and in another one as
> an ObjectProperty (linking
> "Don Giovanni" to "Mozart"), or a DatatypeProperty (if the
> composer is not enough
> identified to be an individual), in a Topic Map ontology as a
> Role Type used in a
> "Composition" Association Type, etc ...

I think Bernard makes a crucial point here as yet not mentioned, which is
that a skos:Concept may have a mapping to an rdf:Property, as well as the
other sorts of thing (RDFS/OWL Class, RDFS/OWL Individual, TM Role Type
etc.)

I am arriving at the following points of view wrt this discussion and
Bernard's suggestion below:

(1) It is perfectly reasonable for someone to mix SKOS, RDFS and OWL within
a single scheme.  So a resource may be both a skos:Concept and an
rdfs/owl:Class, or both a skos:Concept and an rdf:Property, or both a
skos:Concept and an owl:ObjectProperty/owl:DatatypeProperty.

(2) In the case of *mapping* between a pure SKOS concept scheme and an
RDFS/OWL ontology, it is desirable to capture the fact that the mapping is
directional (i.e. from skos:Concept to rdfs:Class or rdf:Property or
whatever).

(3) The former 'skos:denotes' proposal and all following suggestions
(including Bernard's 'formalMatch' suggestion below) live firmly in the
space of *SKOS Mapping* and NOT in SKOS Core (Danbri how do you feel about
that?)

(4) SKOS Mapping needs to be completely rethought ;)  (Mainly because there
are multiple axes along which a set of mapping constructs can be divided:
the degree of overlap; inclusion/generality (i.e. broadMatch, narrowMatch);
the types of entities ...)

That's all for now.

Al.