Re: FW: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] skos:denotes

Leonard Will wrote:

> In message <415D70C5.3000806@hplb.hpl.hp.com> on Fri, 1 Oct 2004, Dave
> Reynolds <der@hplb.hpl.hp.com> wrote
>
>> Longer: "We can think of a SKOS concept as standing for the set of
>> resources which can be classified under that concept. For example, in
>> a thesaurus of computer science topics used for document
>> classification one might have a 'Distributed systems' concept which
>> stands for all the papers which can be classified under 'Distributed
>> systems'. When the things being classified are represented by RDF
>> resources then it is useful to have a property which can link the
>> resource to the SKOS Concept(s) under which it is classified -
>> skos:classifiedAs is such a property though applications are free to
>> define more specific sub-properties."
>

> If I may again translate this into thesaurus-speak, to clarify it in my
> mind, we would say that "resources" (or "documents") do not form part of
> a thesaurus.
>
> When a thesaurus is used to index a collection of documents, we
> associate one or more thesaurus terms with each document, showing that
> that document has some relevance to the concepts which the terms
> represent. This creates a catalogue. I'd prefer to avoid the expression
> "classified under", because classification is a rather different
> operation than the assignment of index terms for retrieval purposes.

Sounds fine. So would a name like "skos:indexedUnder" (for a property which
links from a document/resource to a thesaurus concept) be a preferrable name?

> A thesaurus may have concepts which are "classes of one", often
> represented by proper names, but these are still concepts, not resources.

Thanks, that's helped to clarify the earlier discussion. So the second
modeling I suggested (that the analogue of a skos:Concept 'Alistair Miles'
would be an owl:Class with one member) would be the normal interpretation.

Dave