Re: [Proposal][SKOS-Core] skos:denotes

Miles, AJ (Alistair) wrote:

> How about this for an argument as to why resources of type skos:Concept are
> at a different level of abstraction to, say for example, resources of type
> foaf:Person ...

In my example the relationship was between the class foaf:Person and a
skos:Concept of person, not between an instance of foaf:Person and the
skos:Concept.

> You would not say that a 'scopeNote' or a 'definition' is a property of a
> person.

Correct. Similarly when describing an owl:Class or rdf:Property (or indeed
an rdfs:Resource) I use rdfs:label, rdfs:comment and
owl:AnnotationProperties etc to provide the equivalent of scopeNotes and
definitions.

> However, you might reasonably say that an 'email address' or 'date of birth'
> is a property of a person.

Correct but that does not stop a resource which is classified as being
within the skos:Concept Person having an email address, it just means that
the SKOS concept doesn't refer to it. That's just a matter of expressivity.

What's more if I choose to use a skos:Concept to directly model a
particular individual (rather than the "its a resource classified using
this concept" approach) there would be nothing to stop me also attaching
properties like an email address or a date of birth to it. Those would not
be skos properties but that is irrelevant. This is not object oriented
programming here.

I think I should shut up about this now, I don't think I'm helping.

Cheers,
Dave