RE: SKOS dodges the identity crisis?

On that wiki page you say,
"... So if URIA and URIB do not denote abstract
concepts, what do they denote?

Well, what if we say that each of these URIs actually denotes a
description of a concept? ..."

I agree with this, basically, with a few refinements.
How about this, each of those URIs are *mapped* to a portion of
a "specification of a conceptualization"[1].

And it is this conceptualization, or meaning, that denotes the
concept, not the URI. The conceptualization denotes the concept
*for the conceptualizer*, in the sense of discriminating it from
any other concept known to the conceptualizer. Even though the
conceptualizations of the two agents differ, it may turn out
that they denote the same thing, just as in the parable of the
blind men and the elephant, each man has a different
conceptualization but they all denote the one elephant.

This leads back again to the importance of agency and context.

Recently, nothing explains for me better the importance of
these ideas than the work of Luc Steels, of the Free University
of Brussels. References are on my web log: http://kashori.com/

John Black

[1] What is an Ontology?
http://www-ksl.stanford.edu/kst/what-is-an-ontology.html