Extensibility and coverage of SKOS

Hi all,

Just a short note to say, if you look at the migration guidelines doc [1]
(which is still only half baked) I try to outline an approach to coping with
variation in KOS structure without compromising the benefits of
standardisation.

Basically the idea is that, when confronted with a thesaurus that has some
non-standard features, you take the SKOS-Core schema, and build some
extensions via sub-class and sub-property statements which capture the
unique non-standard features of the thesaurus.  However, because all classes
and properties of the extended schema are linked to classes and properties
of the SKOS-Core schema, the extension can be reduced to a SKOS-Core
representation, and is thus still compatible with other SKOS based schemas
and apps.

I.e. you can have your cake and eat it (!!)

It's explained a bit better in [1], with GEMET as a worked example.  This
approach I think works well for thesauri such as GEMET, which are not too
far off the beaten track as far as thesauri go.  However, whether this
approach will work for really quirky things like MeSH and AAT, and other
styles of scheme such as LCSH and DDC, is something I'm looking forward to
finding out.

Yours,

Al.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/sw/Europe/reports/thes/1.0/migrate/