From: Ron Davies [mailto:ron@rondavies.be]
Sent: 10 May 2004 10:02
To: Stella Dextre Clarke; public-esw-thes@w3.org
Subject: RE: Supporting arrays of concepts : node labels

Stella,

You've hit on exactly the issue that concerns me, which is how the
network client knows what to do with what it gets back from the server.
The ultimate aim, or user case if you prefer, is supporting a
human-browsable display, both for alphabetical and for hierarchical
types of display such as the AAT examples Doug talks about in his JoDI
paper.

As you say, sometimes the order will be alphabetical and sometimes it
will not. I think this mixture is even more frequent with taxonomies
than with thesauri.

1. If it's not alphabetical, but some logical sequence, the client will
want to respect the order in which the relations have been returned by
the server.

2. If it's alphabetical, then of course we can ask "Alphabetical
according to which language"? A series of relations sequenced by English
labels will clearly not work if you want to display the French labels.
That may not matter that much, if the client accepts the job of
re-sorting all the relations by label for every language for every set
of relations for every record that we want to display.

But the harder question is, How does the client know when the sequence
is alphabetical (or is irrelevant) and when it's not (and is
significant)?

Ron

Ron Davies

Information and documentation systems consultant

Av. Baden-Powell 1  Bte 2, 1200 Brussels, Belgium

Email:  ron@rondavies.be

Tel:    +32 (0)2 770 33 51

GSM:    +32 (0)484 502 393