RE: [Proposal] SKOS-Core Schema Management and Evolution

Thanks Dan, I was hoping you would chip in on this one, given your wisdom on
the subject :)

In section 3, perhaps I should have used ...

         <owl:DeprecatedClass rdf:ID="ExampleOldClass">
			<owl:versionInfo>This class is now deprecated.  Use
the 'ExampleNewClass' class instead.</owl:versionInfo>
         </owl:DeprecatedClass>

... as an example of how I propose to handle deprecation.

Dan, your comment ...

> Hmm, depends if Concepts are Classes, though?

... was this a comment on the general way of doing deprecation using OWL, or
on the specific (hypothetical) deprecation that was used as an example?

Al.

---
Alistair Miles
Research Associate
CCLRC - Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
Building R1 Room 1.60
Fermi Avenue
Chilton
Didcot
Oxfordshire OX11 0QX
United Kingdom
Email:        a.j.miles@rl.ac.uk
Tel: +44 (0)1235 445440

<http://esw.w3.org/mt/esw/archives/cat_skos_changelog.html>.

A good plan!

> 3: Deprecation and Replacement of Terms
>
> To manage the deprecation and replacement of terms within the schema, I
> propose the use of the owl:DeprecatedClass and owl:DeprecatedProperty
> classes. ... the owl:versionInfo property is then used to indicate what
> class or property should now be used instead.

Neat

> For example ...
>
>         <owl:DeprecatedClass rdf:ID="TopConcept">
>                 <rdfs:label>Top Concept</rdfs:label>
>                 <rdfs:comment>A concept that sits at the top of the
concept
> hierarchy.</rdfs:comment>
>                 <owl:versionInfo>This class is now deprecated.  To
indicate
> the top concepts for a particular scheme, use the new skos:hasTopConcept
> property instead.</owl:versionInfo>
>         </owl:DeprecatedClass>

Hmm, depends if Concepts are Classes, though?

Dan